Thank you to everyone who participated in the Business Owners’ Forum at The ICEHOUSE yesterday. There was some quality discussion around employment issues from the panel and the participants. The panelists tonight were:
- Paul Diver, a lawyer, employment specialist and HR Partner at the ICEHOUSE, who shared some of the latest and emerging legal issues relating to employment in New Zealand – particularly around bargaining and dismissal. Paul raised some interesting issues such as the risks of those “without prejudice” discussions with employees – and some of the pragmatic solutions to exiting certain employees.
- Rebecca Brennan, a director of ElevateCA Limited, discussed some good practical strategies around performance management and performance measurement. Rebecca drove home the importance of communication and measurement, and got down to the real “how to” nuts and bolts of the subject. Rebecca’s presentation was packed full of useful content.
- Michael Masterson, a former CEO of a large Asia Pacific contact centre, shared some practical and amusing anecdotes to make his points about keeping your team fully engaged in their work. He advocates what he calls the three f’s – fun, focus and fulfilment – in the workplace, and talked about leading from the front and the little things that make a huge difference.
As always, format was casual over pizza, beer and wine – and the event was attended by business owners who got plenty of tips and points to take away from the evening.
Business Owners Forums are supported by ElevateCA, The Bottom Line Expense Reduction, BNZ, The ICEHOUSE and Webb Ross Lawyers. The ethos of all the supporters is to give back to the business communities that support us, so these sessions are always free of charge and are open to business owners – particularly of businesses of $1m plus turnover. There is never a sell from the supporters – that’s not what these sessions are about at all.
Business Owners Forums are held monthly – alternating between Auckland and Whangarei venues.
If you would like to be invited to the next event, which is on 3 December at ElevateCA in Whangarei, fire us a quick email.
Fraser Hurrell is one of three directors of Elevate CA Limited, Chartered Accountants & Business Advisors in Whangarei, New Zealand.
You Might Also Enjoy Reading
- Using Other People's Money in your Business - Newmarket - 22nd February, 2016
- Using Other People's Money in your Business - Albany - 22nd February, 2016
- Dealing with Difficult People in your Business - Newmarket - 22nd February, 2016
- Dealing with Difficult People in your Business - Albany - 22nd February, 2016
- Can you Trust your Trust - Newmarket - 22nd February, 2016